Our Commitments and Progress
A world of opportunity
Sonoco is committed to creating long-term value for its stakeholders by becoming a more sustainable and responsible corporate citizen.
Business Strength and Shareholder Performance
- We achieved strong sales in 2015 at close to $5 billion. In addition, we achieved record gross profits and base earnings grew to an all-time high.
- S&P rates Sonoco’s debt at BBB+, one of the strongest ratings in the Packaging sector.
- Sonoco has paid cash dividends for 90 consecutive years, dating back to 1925, and increased dividends for 33 consecutive years.
- Sonoco's current dividend yield is one of the highest in the Packaging sector and is approximately 50% higher than the S&P 500.
Contributing to Our Communities
- The Sonoco Foundation contributed nearly $3.0 million to nonprofit organizations supporting education, health and welfare, environmental, cultural and civic causes.
- Nearly 80% of these funds supported education.
- We provided $205,000 in college scholarships to family members of our employees and our community.
- We provided $95,000 in global disaster relief to assist victims through the American Red Cross.
- Our volunteers raised $8,000 for Habitat for Humanity through the proceeds of our third annual 5K run.
Reducing Our Impact on the Environment
- We have reduced total greenhouse gas emissions (CO2e) by 1.2% and normalized emissions (CO2e) by 28% since 2009.
- We have reduced total water usage by 28% and reduced normalized water usage by 48% since 2009.
- 10% of Sonoco’s global manufacturing operations have achieved 95%+ diversion of wastes to landfill.
- Sonoco Recycling recovered the equivalent by weight of more than 60% of the product Sonoco places into the marketplace.
Using 2014 as our new baseline, our commitment through 2020 is to:
- Reduce normalized global energy usage by 1% annually, which we believe will result in a further 1% reduction in GHG emissions (or reducing GHG emissions by 5% through 2020).
- Reduce normalized water usage by 5% through 2020.
- Achieve Sonoco Sustainability Star award status at an additional 10% of the Company’s operations by significantly diverting landfill wastes. Also, continue working with our customers to demonstrate total landfill diversion from their operations in North America and Europe.
- Demonstrate further improvement in employee safety, diversity and engagement.