The ideal blend of performance and cost savings
With a smooth surface for image fidelity and a brightness that makes images and colors pop, Sonoco's EcoTect® product offers consistent high-quality printability. With a lower density per caliper than competitive substrates, EcoTect offers cost savings of, on average, 15-35%. It's also a responsible option -- EcoTect is made from 100% recycled fibers and is recyclable.
And now, EcoTect has become the first URB to be certified by the Rochester Institute of Technology to Hewlett-Packard (HP) Indigo print platform specifications.
- Caliper range of 16-27 pt. (Up to 36 pt. for EcoEarth line)
- Offset lithography, flexographic, gravure and digital printing technologies
- Meets FDA requirements for food contact packaging
- Variety of custom options available
- Increased versatility with high-speed machine filling capabilities and lower density for higher yield
Our EcoTect bending chip is not just a high-performance product -- it's the responsible option.
- Sourced from 100% recycled materials (85% post-consumer, 15% post-industrial), pulling material from the waste stream and reducing waste-to-landfill
- FSC and SFI Certified (see Certifications below)
- PiQET Analysis available
- Functionally equivalent stacking strength when compared to virgin grades (caliper for caliper)
EcoTect bending chip offers:
- Environmental responsibility
- Raw materials for new products, protecting natural resources
- Reduced waste-to-landfill
- Recovery and use in closed-loop cycles
Sonoco is committed to responsible use of natural resources through responsible sourcing, recycling and use of recycled fiber in our paper-based packaging. Sonoco’s U.S., Canadian, U.K., Brazilian and one of our Mexican mills are certified to one or more fiber certification programs. These are: the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®), Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®) and the Program for the Endorsement of Forest Certification® (PEFC®) Chain of Custody and Due Diligence System Standards. Additionally, we have plants in our composite can packaging, industrial tubes & cores, and primary packaging carton operations that are certified to these programs and can produce certified packaging. Overall sales (certified and not) by these mills and fiber certified plants is equal to 15% of Sonoco’s revenue.
All but three of our 19 global paperboard mills use 100% recycled fiber in their production. Some amount of responsibly-sourced virgin fiber is needed for select grades of paperboard. The amount of recycled fiber in our composite cans range from 60 to 80+ percent, depending on the product specifications for the package. On average, the amount of recycled fiber used in our industrial tubes and cores exceeds 95 percent.