Awards, Certifications and Memberships
Striving for excellence
Sonoco's achievements confirm that our actions and performance are at the highest level with our peers and with the best companies in the world.
Memberships and Certifications
- American Forest and Paper Association
- Carbon Disclosure Project
- Composite Can and Tube Institute
- Environmental Education Association of S.C.
- EPS Industry Alliance
- Flexible Packaging Association
- Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC)*
- Institute of Packaging Professionals (IoPP)
- Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries (ISRI)
- Material Handling Institute (MHI)
- National Association of Information Destruction
- National Council for Air and Stream Improvement
- National Minority Supplier Development Council
- National Sustainability Coalition
- Paper Stock Institute (Chapter of ISRI)
- PMMI, The Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies
- Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification*
- The Recycling Partnership
- Solid Waste Association of North America
- South Carolina Chamber of Commerce
- South Carolina Manufacturers Alliance
- Southeastern Recycling Coalition
- Southeastern Recycling Development Council
- Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI)*
- Sustainable Packaging Coalition
*About our Certifications
Sonoco is committed to responsible use of natural resources through responsible sourcing, recycling and use of recycled fiber in our paper-based packaging. Sonoco’s U.S., Canadian, U.K., Brazilian and one of our Mexican mills are certified to one or more fiber certification programs. These are: the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®), Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®) and the Program for the Endorsement of Forest Certification® (PEFC®) Chain of Custody and Due Diligence System Standards. Additionally, we have plants in our composite can packaging, industrial tubes & cores, and primary packaging carton operations that are certified to these programs and can produce certified packaging. Overall sales (certified and not) by these mills and fiber certified plants is equal to 15% of Sonoco’s revenue.
All but three of our 19 global paperboard mills use 100% recycled fiber in their production. Some amount of responsibly-sourced virgin fiber is needed for select grades of paperboard. The amount of recycled fiber in our composite cans range from 60 to 80+ percent, depending on the product specifications for the package. On average, the amount of recycled fiber used in our industrial tubes and cores exceeds 95 percent.