Economic and social well-being of our stakeholders
Our Corporate Sustainability Council provides oversight, guidance, and direction on social, community, and environmental issues that impact the reputation and economic viability of the company and our stakeholders.
Corporate Sustainability Council
The council meets quarterly and reports to and is sponsored by Sonoco’s president and CEO. The council reports on Sonoco’s sustainability activities, biannually, to the Board of Directors.
Learn more about Sonoco's materiality process regarding economic, environmental and social issues..
- Identify and define those issues that are relevant to Sonoco's long-term sustainability and image as a good corporate citizen
- Establish meaningful long- and short-term sustainability objectives related to key areas of focus and provide Sonoco's executive committee with recommendations and guidance on how to meet those objectives
- Recommend and establish new Company guidelines, policies and processes to support areas of focus
- Create and communicate a business case for corporate sustainability
- Provide recommendations for the Company's philanthropic efforts in support of overall corporate sustainability objectives
Board of Directors
Employee and Public Responsibility Committee
The Employee and Public Responsibility Committee of the Board of Directors provides oversight and guidance on social and public policy issues, including compliance with governmental or other regulatory requirements, which may impact business performance and the investment potential of Sonoco.
Learn more about the Employee and Public Responsibility Committee.
John E. Linville (Chair)
John R. Haley
Blythe J. McGarvie
Sonoco has used the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 Guidelines to define the content of our 2016-17 Corporate Responsibility Report. These guidelines form a voluntary framework of principles and indicators used to measure and report economic, environmental and social performance. They also provide a standard of comparison between Sonoco and our peers. Our 2017 GRI Index will be available soon. Our 2016 GRI Index can be accessed here.