How can we recycle more responsibly?
As both a producer of sustainable packaging and part of the recycling supply chain that gives those items a second life, Sonoco is constantly expanding our knowledge on waste reduction and better recycling practices.
And we're committed to sharing that knowledge, whether by publishing insights on recycling as an industry, working with global businesses to cut down on waste or talking to local students at one of our recycling education centers.
An ongoing dialogue is vital to the work we do and inspires us to continually craft recycling solutions that meet our planet’s changing needs.
Resources on This Page
Recycling Resources for the US
- Environmental Protection Agency: Recycling Basics
- Packaging Corporation of America: Corrugated Recycling Process
Recycling Resources for the Carolinas
- Carolina Recycling Association: Resources List
- North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality: Recycle More NC
- SC DHEC's Office of Waste Reduction & Recycling: Recycle Right SC and Recycling Hard-to-Manage Items
- South Carolina Department of Commerce: Recycling in SC website and "Your Bottle Means Jobs" video
Additional Resources for North and South Carolina Educators
- NC Environmental Education: Environmental education programs, events, and educator resources
- Environmental Education Association of South Carolina: Resources and community for environmental professionals and educators
- SC Green Step Schools: A program designed to encourage South Carolina schools to establish sustainability projects where students learn, do and teach others
Tour a Material Recovery Facility (MRF)
Come along with us on a tour of the Sonoco Recycling MRF located in Raleigh, NC, and learn about how recyclables are processed before being repurposed into new materials.
Sonoco Recycling partners with local governments to collect 200,000 tons of curbside recyclables in 150 cities and towns across the Southeastern US each year. Community members can request tours, classes or workshops at on of our MRF recycling education centers.
SC Green Step Schools
The South Carolina Green Step Schools Initiative encourages K-12 schools to take annual steps toward establishing and maintaining model quality sustainability projects. Schools can earn awards when they work with qualified mentors and submit videos or pictures showing their students learning, doing and teaching others about sustainability.
Sonoco Recycling co-sponsors the Green Step Schools program alongside the Environmental Education Association of South Carolina and SC DHEC.
For the Classroom
Meet the Remarkable Recyclables
Did you know there are superheroes in your midst? Meet the Remarkable Recyclables! Heroes capable of transforming themselves into new products for a better tomorrow. This is the story of their epic journey into the heart of the Sonoco Recycling process to find new ways to help people all over the world reduce, reuse and recycle.
View the video with your classroom to learn about the recycling process for paper, aluminum and plastic. You can also download our Remarkable Recyclables coloring sheet.
Connect With Sonoco
Discover how Sonoco Recycling can help your business meet sustainability goals.