How We're Fighting Climate Change
Sonoco recognizes our responsibility to address the challenges of global climate change. We are committed to measuring, reporting and reducing our greenhouse gas emissions as well as energy and water consumption and waste generation in our operations around the world.
We are focused on reducing energy usage and air emissions by maximizing energy efficiency through targeted investments and initiatives, as well as reducing water usage and landfill wastes, and we encourage our vendors, partners and contractors to do the same.
Ambitious Climate Goals
Sonoco has committed to validated Science-based targets aligned with keeping global warming to well below 2°C. The Science Based Targets initiative has validated our climate goals.
- Sonoco will reduce absolute Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions at least 25% by 2030 from a 2020 base year.
- Sonoco is committed to reduce absolute Scope 3 GHG emissions by 13.5% from a 2019 base year by working with our customers and suppliers to develop innovative packaging solutions that reduce packaging waste and improve recyclability.
- Sonoco is actively studying necessary operational changes, technology developments and market changes that would be required to achieve net-zero GHG emissions by 2050.
Gaining target validation from the SBTi means inviting a respected partner into our ambitions, and we are motivated to achieve results.
One of the Largest Recyclers in the U.S.
Sonoco Recycling is one of the 10 largest recyclers in the U.S., and we've helped more than 70 facilities achieve zero waste-to-landfill status.
Our Plastic Packaging Commitments
Preventing Harmful Waste
Limiting Landfill Degradation
Our Sustainability Story
From innovative packaging design to sustainable end-of-life practices, we've invested in a product lifecycle that's better for our planet and better for you and your customers. See how we've made sustainability a part of everything we do.
Eco-Friendly Packaging Portfolio
Packaging that Preserves the Planet
We’ve shown our commitment to sustainability by developing an EnviroSense® portfolio that's dedicated to eco-friendly packaging. Our portfolio spans a range of materials—from cans to pouches to paperboard and rigid plastic.
Supporting New Eco-Friendly Solutions
Sonoco’s iPS Studio innovation center in Hartsville, S.C., has been recognized with LEED Silver certification status. LEED, which stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, helps building owners and managers improve a building’s life cycle performance, resulting in healthful and financially and environmentally sound performances and practices. The iPS Studio excels throughout a number of LEED project categories including: Sustainable Sites, Water Efficiency, Energy & Atmosphere, Indoor Environmental Quality and Innovation & Design.
• The interior light power is 25.4% more efficient than code standard.
• During construction, 36.65 tons of waste was diverted from landfill.
• More than 93% of new equipment and appliances are Energy Star rated.
• Indoor plumbing fixtures are 48% more efficient than the national standard.
• 50% of new wood materials are FSC certified.
Supplier Sustainability Awards
Supplier Sustainability Awards
Each year, we solicit our key supplier partners to participate and self-nominate for the prestigious Supplier Sustainability Awards. Our team considers and reviews each submission for three sustainability components: social, environmental and economic.
This year, we had a record number of suppliers respond, increasing the competition from prior years! This is evidence of our suppliers’ commitment to continuous sustainability improvement within your enterprise and shows strong alignment with Sonoco and its stakeholders.
Connect with Sonoco
Every day, we commit ourselves to the singular notion that smart packaging is more than plastics, cardboard and paper—it’s a promise to people, products and our planet. And we believe it’s one well worth keeping. Let's work together.